About this course
This course focuses on the development of both teaching, training, and tutoring skills. These skills are necessary for preparing, delivering and/or facilitating presentations, colloquia, workshops, and other learning activities. In this course we discuss various education-related themes, such as developing a lesson plan and your role as a teacher. Each week a theme is discussed and brought into practice by means of in-class (group) assignments. As such, the course has a practical fashion and all we do is meant to translate right away to the real-world teaching practices (while staying in our own classroom). The course is meant for students who like to explore what the field of teaching is about and/or if teaching/training would be something for them to do in the future - whether this is in formal education or beyond.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- Recognize and apply the three main teaching and training methods: presenting, interacting and designing and facilitating group work
- Recognize and describe different roles of a teacher
- Develop a basic lesson plan existing of a proper start, core and ending (including a small assessment)
- Translate a lesson plan into a real-life lesson (i.e. apply the lesson plan) and take into account (1) the different roles of a teacher, and (2) individual differences between learners
- Evaluate their own and other's performance in teaching, training or tutoring