About this minor
Always wondered how technology can improve health care? The minor emphasizes the relation between medicine and engineering. Lectures, also from physicians, and exercises will highlight the recent developments in biomedical engineering. We will challenge you to solve (bio-)medical problems with technology.
At the end of this minor, the students will be able to:
- describe the structure and the function of the muscoloskeletal system in the human body from an engineering perspective.
- describe the characteristics of the fields of application of medical devices and imaging modalities, as well as the end-users in these fields.
- understand the collaboration complexity between clinicians and engineers in the development process and use of medical-technical equipment and systems.
- explain the physical and engineering principles involved in specific medical devices and imaging modalities used in medicine.
- describe typical phases in the development process of medical devices.
- answer clinical questions based on biomedical research or medical designs using a scientific approach.
Teaching method and examination
Teaching method: Lectures, assignments, exams
Location: Delft, with guest lecturers from Leiden and Rotterdam and excursions
Check the detailed overview of courses, learning activities and study load at https://www.studyguide.tudelft.nl/
Good to know
Register for this minor and send a motivation letter to the coordinator of the minor.
The registration and motivation letter must be received ultimately on before the deadline of registration, and will be used to select students if necessary. For more information on this, visit the website: https://www.tudelft.nl/3me/onderwijs/minoren-en-keuzevakken/biomedical-engineering
Student at Leiden University, TU Delft or Erasmus University Rotterdam?
Check the eligibility matrix to see if your bachelor’s degree programme offers access to this and other minors at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor
Student at another educational institution?
External students cannot register via EduXchange. Interested in this minor, read the whole registration procedure at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor
- CreditsECTS 30
- Selection minorYes