About this course
Becoming a Teacher 3 is a follow-up course for students who already successfully finished all the courses of the minor education and want to professionalize themselves as a teacher in a second subject and aim at receiving a second degree teaching certificate for a second school subject. In the course, like in the course Becoming a Teacher 2, theory on learning and instruction will be applied and tested in classroom settings. Students continually reflect on and learn from their experiences. They learn to analyze classroom events, to solve classroom-related problems and to develop themselves. Moreover, like in the course Course Development, the course covers the processes of structurally planning, developing and evaluating courses in a lesson series and a multidisciplinary project in secondary education. The course consists of individual assignments. Students will actually plan, develop and evaluate an innovative lesson series (e.g. in biology) in a secondary school or in vocational education and training, based on educational, curriculum, and learning theories.
After successful completion of this course students are, within the domain of teaching at mavo, havo/vwo 1+2+3, on the basis of sufficient theoretical understanding, a professional attitude and teaching-related skills, expected to be able to:
- communicate on the level of the students (interpersonal) and to create a safe learning environment (pedagogical);
- create a powerful learning environment (pedagogical content knowledge) to organize a learning environment that is well-structured, clear and task-oriented (planning);
- critically review (existing) lesson series in the context of secondary education, using theories or models of instructional and curriculum design;
- (re)design a coherent lesson series and a multidisciplinary project in collaboration with teachers and/or peer students from other disciplines;
- develop concrete lesson plans, learning goals and learning activities;
- critically analyze existing and develop new activating and innovative teaching and assessment methods and to justify made choices;
- critically evaluate courses and school practices;
- communicate and cooperate with other teachers in the school (cooperation with colleagues);
- share relevant information with others to ensure the well-being of the students (school environment);
- explicitly and critically reflect upon their teaching-related views and competencies on the basis of theoretical insights and empirical data and to display an innovative and pro-active attitude towards educational development (reflection on personal/professional development).
ELS51006 Becoming a Teacher Basics; ELS51606 Learning and Instruction Theory; ELS52006 Becoming a Teacher 1; ELS51506 Becoming a Teacher 2; ELS52506 Course Development.
1 september 2023
- Ends31 augustus 2024
- Term *Academic Year
- Instruction languageDutch
- Register between1 Jun, 00:00 - 15 Jul 2024