Over deze cursus
This course will discuss the newest insights on the role of diet, lifestyle and body composition in the aetiology, treatment and prognosis of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes mellitus. Lectures will be provided by teachers involved in different disciplines of cardiometabolic research, i.e. on the level of the population, individual and cell. The course is structured around different themes: 1) pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases, 2) pathophysiology of diabetes, 3) role of nutrition, 4) molecular aspects, and 5) clinical aspects.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand the biological processes that contribute to cardiovascular diseases and diabetes;
- understand the role of dietary factors in the etiology and treatment of cardiometabolic diseases;
- understand the types of measurements and techniques that are used in the research field of nutrition and cardiometabolic disorders;
- understand major diagnostic criteria and medical treatment of cardiometabolic diseases;
- understand the role of (epi)genetic factors and the microbiome in the cardiometabolic disease process;
- form an opinion on a controversial topic in the field of nutrition and cardiometabolic diseases, based on evidence from different disciplines;
- discuss their opinion with others and express your views in a report and a debate.
ZSS06100 Laboratory Safety