Over deze cursus
This course gives an overview of different aspects playing a role in the challenging field of environmental toxicology. Toxicology itself already is very interdisciplinary, but environmental toxicology even adds (environmental) chemistry, earth sciences, biology of a wide range of species and ecology to this. The course is set-up as an integration between lectures, practicals, computer sessions, videos and excursion. The book 'Principles of Ecotoxicology' is used to develop a basis for the rest of the subjects in the course. About half of the lectures will focus on a variety of timely additional issues. In the practical part of the course you will use a set of experiments to identify two unkown chemicals based on their toxicity profiles. Applying a set of modern in vitro and in vivo assays you will address the toxicity of the unknown and compare this with literature data/ Based on this, the identity of the chemicals can be assessed. This will be presented both orally as well as in a small report.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- summarise the most relevant terms, principles and methods in environmental toxicology;
- distinguish the main sources and types of environmental pollutants and assess their potential environmental fate;
- evaluate the characteristics of compounds, organisms and ecosystem for their consequences for environmental fate and effect propagation:
- design and execute toxicological dose-response experiments in a comprehensive way and analyse and critically discuss the results (written);
- create an experimental approach with meaningful endpoints to assess the environmental and human risk for a topical environmental contamination case.
ZSS06100 Laboratory Safety
Prior to the course it is assumed that some information of the online text book Environmental Toxicology is read, i.e. chapter 1.1 Environmental Toxicology (https://maken.wikiwijs.nl/120137/1__Introduction#!page-4124228) and 1.3 Short history (https://maken.wikiwijs.nl/120137/1__Introduction#!page-4124230)
- StudiepuntenECTS 6
- Email contactpersoon
11 maart 2024
- Einddatum3 mei 2024
- Periode *Period 5
- Inschrijven tussen1 jun 00:00 - 11 feb 2024