About this minor
Learn to think and act as a top strategy consultant. Learn to quickly and effectively analyze how an organization operates, and where its weak points lie. You will learn the proven successful problem-solving techniques of the world’s top strategy consulting firms. You will follow (case) workshops and work on real world consulting projects, guided by (guest) lecturers who are, respectively, alumni and active consultants of these firms.
This minor is relevant for you if you are considering a career in (strategy) consulting, but you will also benefit from your new knowledge and skills if you pursue other careers. Alumni of the course regularly let us know how it has benefited their careers. Some are consultants but many are also still using the learned techniques in their non-consulting related jobs. We hope that you will join them.
This minor course provides you with a practical multi-level introduction to strategy consulting. We will teach you:
- the structured problem-solving method, tools and techniques of the world’s best strategy consulting firms
- tools and theories for understanding of:
- strategy consulting projects,
- strategy consulting firms
- and the strategy consulting industry
This minor combines classroom (case) workshops and consulting projects.
- In the workshops you will present and discuss real world strategy consultancy cases and other relevant topics. Moreover, you will work on consultancy case assignments (among others, with coaching by guests from strategy consulting firms).
- In a field consulting project you will work with a group of fellow students (of your own choice) on an actual real world consultancy case for a client in the profit or not-for-profit sector.
- Additionally, you will further develop your consulting skills by performing a desk consulting project.
- Apply the methods and techniques of the world’s best strategy consulting firms on a real world project
- Identify the real strategic issues of your clients: both problems and opportunities
- Structure and analyze these issues to develop valuable new insights
- Develop hypotheses about potential strategies for effectively addressing these issues
- Collect and analyze data to test your hypotheses to get confidence in your strategy
- Create high-impact recommendations with convincing argumentation to get clients to accept your advice
- Translate your advice to practical roadmaps for execution
- Assess and manage the relationship with your client and engage other stakeholders to be more effective and get support for your advice
- Assess strategies and business models of strategy consulting firms to understand the important differences
- Evaluate competitive developments in the strategy consulting industry to see where the industry is going
- Reflect on a real live strategy consultancy experience to find out whether consulting is something for you
Teaching method and examination
Case-based lectures (weekly)
Mini Case presentations
Guest lectures from top consulting firms
Group consulting project
Work on an actual strategic question of an existing client company
Coached by lecturers (with consulting experience) as well as consultants from a respected strategy consulting firm.
Structure and present your analysis in a professional manner
Output is in Powerpoint slide form only
Individual consulting project
Apply learned concepts to a real case
Output is in Powerpoint slide form only
No written test
Textbook: Baaij (2014). An introduction to management consultancy. London: Sage
Method of examination
- Group Mini Case presentation (10%)
- Group Field Consulting Project: grading of intermediate and final report (30%)
- Individual Desk Consulting project: grading of final report (50%)
- Individual Group Field Project reflection (10%)
- No written test
Good to know
Even if you have no basic knowledge of business, you may still successfully follow this Minor. We provide self-study materials and other support to help you quickly learn the entry level business knowledge.
All RSM minors have mandatory attendance.
- CreditsECTS 15
- Selection minorNo