About this minor
You will learn about Circular Building Industry, where harvesting demolition waste provides the main resource for new buildings, and Bio-Based Materials which can be harvested in a sustainable way. At the same time you will improve your skills as a designer. With the help of a team of experts (crafts(wo-)men, architects, structural and climate engineers) You will learn about materials and techniques by "building it yourself". Parallel to this, a variety of speakers are invited to give lectures on circularity, energy use and construction to explain the bigger picture. More experienced design-students will be able to improve their design skills on specific aspects like Bio-Based Materials, Timber Construction and Digital Fabrication. Students who are new in the field of architecture will explore and discover the fun of learning by designing, making and breaking.
In the minor Archineering you will learn to …
- understand how circular design and the use of bio-based materials can help reduce climate change.
- design and work with different bio-based materials (wood, hempcrete etc.).
- understand woodworking techniques (by working with wood in a workshop setting).
- optimise a wooden structure by building and testing.
- translate a design task into a complete and working draft proposal within 2 weeks.
- explore construction, climate design, digital manufacturing, detailing, and be able to experiment with these design aspects in your own design project.
- build, test analyse and improve several prototypes and models on different information and scale levels.
Teaching method and examination
Design projects, workshops and research
Check the detailed overview of courses, learning activities and study load at https://www.studyguide.tudelft.nl/
Good to know
This minor consists of 2 quarters (both of 15 ECs); each with a separate content. For students of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment TU Delft it is possible to follow either just quarter 1 or just quarter 2, or to follow both quarter 1 and 2. For all other students who are admissible to this minor, it is only possible to follow either quarter 1, or both quarter 1 and 2.
Please be aware that each quarter has a separate minor code. If you would like to follow both quarter 1 and 2, you should register for both minor codes in Osiris.
Admissible students will be selected based on their BSc programme to achieve an even interdisciplinary group.
Student at Leiden University, TU Delft or Erasmus University Rotterdam?
Check the eligibility matrix to see if your bachelor’s degree programme offers access to this and other minors at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor
Student at another educational institution?
External students cannot register via EduXchange. Interested in this minor, read the whole registration procedure at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor
- CreditsECTS 15
- Selection minorYes