About this course
After this course, students will be able to
- understand the basics of conceptual data modeling in the Entity Relationship model and UML, and translating a natural language specification of a conceptual model into a relational database schema;
- understand the relational database model;
- understand and create advanced SQL and Datalog queries for retrieving relevant data, potentially spanning multiple database tables and involving recursion and aggregation of data;
- will acquire the ability to design, based on a problem description in a variety of application domains, a database suited to solve this problem; and,
- will be able to quickly master and make practical use of contemporary frameworks and technologies for relational data management.
The focus of the course is on practical problem-solving in an application domain. Students will gain practical experience developing the ability to design effective databases based on a solid understanding of the underlying principles. By design, hands-on practical assignment(s) using contemporary frameworks and technologies are a central component of the course. The following topics will be covered:
- Data modeling: conceptual modeling in the ER model and UML; logical data modeling in the relational database model; optimization of logical models, basics of normalization.
- Querying databases: SQL basic queries, aggregation; Datalog basic queries, recursion.
You must meet the following requirements
- Registered for a degree programme other than
- HBO-TOP Applied Physics, Pre-Master, Fulltime
- Completed none of the course modules listed below
- Datamodelling and databases (2ID50)
- CreditsECTS 5
- Contact coordinator
5 februari 2024
- Ends7 april 2024
- Term *Block 3
- Instruction languageEnglish
- Register between15 Nov, 00:00 - 7 Jan 2024