Over deze cursus
Note: This is a distance learning course. For campus students FPE35303 + FPE35403 can replace FPE30806 Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing.
In this course we will study the influences of different choices in food production and processing methods. The evaluation of existing and new technologies requires appropriate evaluation instruments, plus a process system design that allows optimal use of resources and technologies. This course will provide analytical instruments: (1) Analysis of mass and heat flows, and (2) Pinch Analysis, for the evaluation on efficient use of raw materials, energy, water and other utilities for various food production systems (from large-scale supply chain, factory level, down to product and unit operation level).
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- compose Sankey diagrams for heat and mass, in food and bioprocess systems;
- judge production systems on their single-resource efficiency;
- analyse heat exchanging process systems in food and bioprocesses;
- apply tabular and graphical methods in pinch analysis;
- create an efficient heat exchanger network;
- make to optimize the use of external utilities;
- suggest improvements both in unit operations and in larger-scale production systems.
FPE21306 Food Production and Preservation