About this course
This advanced course is for students in any program who must analyze qualitative data either to prepare more quantitative data collection methods (e.g. surveys) or to draw qualitative conclusions directly. Most MSc students, 2/3 of the class, have historically come from the MME, MID, MDR and MCH. The remaining students are PhDs from chair-groups mostly within WASS. The course covers content analysis, metaphor analysis, domain analysis, membership categorization analysis, conversation analysis, semiotics, visual data and discourse analysis.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand the characteristics of qualitative data and analysis techniques;
- understand what sorts of data each method requires;
- understand what sorts of conclusions each method supports;
- understand the validity of the conclusions produced by each method;
- select an (or combination of) analysis methods appropriate for a research question;
- estimate the level of effort required for execution of that analysis;
- use those techniques using ATLAS.ti software;
- reflect critically upon the use and interpretation of the discussed methods.
Research design (YSS-20306 / YRM-20306 or disciplinary equivalent)
- CreditsECTS 6
- Contact coordinator
If anything remains unclear, please check the FAQ of Wageningen University.
These offerings are valid for students of TU Eindhoven