About this course
The aim of this course is familiarize the student with the principles, practices and potential of realizing (small or large)-scale biobased and circular business; How do firms fil the gaps so prevalent in scientific articles and policy briefs? Who realises new upcycles, more sustainable designs, fibers, biomaterials, etc? ‘Not one company has all in house to realise it alone. Thus cooperation is very important’ (Corbion) But doing it together slows down, and makes one dependent. What advances the transition towards a more resource-efficient, circular, biobased economy? This year due to the new Investment Theme Transition BioEconomy, we will bend attention somewhat to building materials and textiles. Commercial, biochemical and transitional aspects of the BBCB will be presented, illustrated and debated, culminating in your own factpods, knowledge clips. Creating individually your socalled Fact-pod helps to deepen your unique competencies, and add knowledge to this domain. For students MBSc, specialization C: Biobased and Circular Economy this coruse is a restricted optional. This course has a great diversity of committed students. By this course you can really strengthen your competencies, profile yourself to become an expert, on a specific topic in BB&CB.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- identify the characteristics of relevant topics and terms;
- recognize the time-related prospects and challenges for firms, industries and global regions;
- understand societal transition principles, and Bioeconomy & CE-policies, at the relevant system levels, using strategic niche management;
- understand how to new BB&C-Business is developing, e.g. biorefineries, and B-corps;
- share academic level business strategic, operational and biochemical insights on the topic;
- demonstrate the application of (personally enriched) acquired insights.
The course requires some basic knowledge on Circular Economy or Biobased Economy. When necessary specific info, knowledge clips and a lecture are offered to level student's knowledge base.