Over deze minor
The earth has become a giant network of “smart” objects and people. At this very moment about 5 billion people and 21 billion digital objects are connected to the internet, and these numbers keep increasing. In the field of design there is a growing awareness that designers can no longer exclusively focus on the well-being of people. We need to take care of the well-being of the ecosystem of our entire planet. Such ecosystems consist not only of people and other living organisms, but increasingly also of technological “beings”. This view on design requires new forms of multi-disciplinary research and education.
When you finalise the Interactive Environmnets minor you have had first-hand experience collaborating with people from different disciplines. You will have realised your own interactive environment and presented that in an exhibition. You will be able to apply an iterative design approach in situations where things are complex and messy. You will have acquired skills to better answer to the complex future challenges in the field of design, technology and architecture.
During the entire semester you will have a dedicated office for meeting, prototyping and coach sessions in the TUDelft Science Centre. Among the facilities offered there are a makerspace with tools and equipment as well as free coffee.
There are various learning objects in the different courses in the minor. Here we list those that belong to the big 15 EC course Design & Prototyping Studio.
- You will be able to work in design process with a multidisciplinary team
- You will be able to apply interactive prototyping as a design strategy in the field of interactive architecture
- You will be able to conceptualise based on understanding people in a design context including the ecosystem of technologies and services in that context.
- You will be identify-create aesthetic qualities in form, material, use of space and behaviour of technology.
- You will be able to employ appropriate sophistication of technology to implement prototypes
- You will be able to evaluate the design outcomes by testing with people
- You will be bale to communicate the design outcomes to the (general) public
Onderwijsmethode en toetsing
The learning activities in the minor are prototyping, workshops, seminars, presentations and coach sessions.
Most assessment takes place on the basis of evaluating the individual or team performance on the mentioned learning objectives. This is performed with a team of experienced coaches who themselves are active professionals in the fields related to the minor.
Check the detailed overview of courses, learning activities and study load at https://www.studyguide.tudelft.nl/
Goed om te weten
This minor is a fulltime program with many activities in various group compositions. Experience over the past decade of running this minor has demonstrated that students will have to commit to fulltime availability from Monday to Friday during regular teaching hours.
For information about the selection, visit the minor page.
Student at Leiden University, TU Delft or Erasmus University Rotterdam?
Check the eligibility matrix to see if your bachelor’s degree programme offers access to this and other minors at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor
Student at another educational institution?
External students cannot register via EduXchange. Interested in this minor, read the whole registration procedure at https://www.tudelft.nl/minor